Monday, September 17, 2007

Smaller houses

Check out this house! This woman lives in an 84 sq. ft. home.

OK, so this may be a little extreme, but then again, maybe not. Why do we need big homes?

When I moved to Asia, I thought that a 1500 sq ft home was average. Now I see it as huge! Homes here can be large, but the average Thai family may share that 1500 sq ft or so with 10 or more people! Or, like my neighbors, 400 sq ft for a family of 6.

We are living in 800 sq ft downstairs. This is 2 bedroom, 2 bath, living/family/dining room, kitchen. One bathroom doubles as a laundry room. We also have a 400sq ft apartment upstairs that we rent. It is our guest room, office, storage, multi-purpose room. I'd love to get rid of it... it's too much space! Our friends (and my mom during her visit) think we're crazy not to be looking for a bigger home. Why shouldn't we make it work?

Why do we feel we HAVE to have so much space to live in? I hear all kinds of reasons. Each kid needs their own room, I like to entertain, I have so much nice furniture, I've got the money why not, it's the neighborhood, I want more than I had as a child, who cares there's no impact around me, and on and on! I think the #1 reason is too much junk!!! Look around you and what do you see? Closets, wardrobes, dressers, storage bins in all rooms. Why do we need these? Is there really that much stuff needing storage?

Start thinking of ways to live simply. Not only will you save money, but you can live smaller as well. How is this green living? All of our homes, purchases, and stuff impact the environment, for good or bad. That's to come later.

[Oh, and if you find this offensive, too bad! I would've found it that way too a few years ago. This blog will step on toes unlike my other blogs]

3 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Okay, that's pretty cool. Of course, she's just one person-I imagine if a husband and some kids were there, she'd have to at least expand to two parking spaces. :-)

I totally agree that we as a society have way too much junk-myself included. We're planning on eliminating as much as possible from the fiddle house-where our junk has been stored. If we haven't needed it much in 2 months while living here, it can't be that important, right?

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger rcsnickers said...

Oh a post! I too am eager to read and learn from what you have to say share on this blog. I hope you share in detail or pictures how you organize and live simply where you are! I know we are not materialistically minded but I know we have more than enough compared to other countries.

Letisha

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger Emily said...

As you know we have a large house, but both Jeff and I are actually looking forward to downsizing! We don't need all the space, and would gladly trade some inside space for outside space. When you guys were here we didn't miss the upstairs at all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home